Prostatitis can be acute and chronic. Only in 10% of cases we are talking about the infectious and inflammatory nature of the pathological process. In the remaining 90% of clinical situations, a degenerative form of pathology is observed, during which the organ mutates and ceases to perform its functions normally.
According to statistics, about 60% of all men suffering from lesions of the prostate gland have problems with fertility. In practice, this means the impossibility of a normal conception until a cure occurs. Additionally, restoration measures will be required. What you need to know about the relationship of prostate diseases and infertility?
60% of men with prostatitis have fertility problems.
Why is the prostate so important for maintaining fertility?
The prostate performs a number of important functions:
- Barrier. It prevents reflux (throwing urine back into the bladder), ensures normal flow and evacuation of urine.
- Promotes adequate ejaculation.
- The secreting function or function of producing prostate juice. This task is the most important, because it is thanks to the secretion of the prostate that fertilization of the egg is possible.
Prostate juice in itself has a ton of features:
The secret of the prostate creates a protective barrier
- Nourishes and protects sperm. As soon as germ cells go beyond the body, they find themselves in an aggressive external environment. They need the protection and support that the prostate juice provides. The secret is a kind of “airbag”.
- The secret has a bactericidal effect, due to which the cells successfully overcome the distance from the vas deferens to the egg.
- Prostate juice neutralizes the acidic environment of the male urethra. After all, acid is death for healthy sperm.
On the factors of the interaction of prostatitis and infertility
Factors of the effects of prostatitis on male fertility are numerous:
- First of all, there is a lesion of germ cells with toxic substances that are abundantly produced during the life of the pathogenic flora. We are talking about the bacterial form of the disease, but sometimes we have to talk about its other varieties, when the bacterial lesion appears secondary to the main process.
- Prostatitis does not come alone. So to say, paraphrasing a famous saying. Testicles (testicles) also often suffer. Disruptions in the work of the testicles are always accompanied by abrupt changes in the hormonal background. The result is a decrease in the production of specific male androgen hormones. First of all, testosterone synthesis suffers. There is a direct relationship between the concentration of male sex hormone and spermatogenesis.
- Some types of bacterial pathogens can produce oxygen in active forms. It is a deadly oxidizing agent that destroys sperm by oxidizing the cell wall. The result is a reduction in the number of healthy germ cells that can fertilize an egg.
With prostatitis, the number of healthy sperm is reduced
- A long course of prostate pathology leads to secondary inflammation of the seminal vesicles – vesiculitis. Both described diseases lead to scarring of the vas deferens. The result – only part of the seed is ejected into the urethral canal. According to studies, for normal fertilization requires at least 3-5 ml of sperm, in every milliliter – at least 20 million cells. This is the only way to count on adequate fertilization.
- As a result of exposure to germ cells of viral agents, waste products of bacteria and the like, spontaneous sperm mutations are possible. A decrease in sperm viability and a decrease in the number of healthy cells is a natural ending. Even worse, if one of these sperm cells still fertilizes the egg. There is a high probability of mutations and defects already in the fetus.
- According to recent studies, any form of prostatitis reduces the number of healthy sperm by almost a quarter at least. The reason is complex.
- There is an increase in acidity of the prostate juice. The reasons are in violation of the secretion, as well as in the release of a large amount of toxins into the juice structure. The result is the death of most of the germ cells.
- There is a decrease in the nutritional and protective properties of prostate juice. The desired number of cells does not reach the egg.
- Prostatitis makes it impossible to perform normal sexual intercourse, as it reduces erectile function. The penis is either not strong enough to have sexual intercourse, or ejaculation is too early.
Depending on the severity of the described disorders, oligozoospermia is noted in case of prostatitis, when viable spermatozoa become insufficient, necrosperosmia, when there are no spermatozoa suitable for fertilization at all. In some cases, a situation is possible when the germ cells are not sufficiently mobile – asthenozoospermia. There is relative infertility. This effect is exerted by both acute and chronic forms of the disease.
Is fertility restored after cure?
With timely treatment of prostatitis, male fertility is restored
Does the presence of prostatitis in the anamnesis suggest that you can say goodbye to childbirth forever? Fortunately not. We are talking about relative infertility. That is, sexual function is restored as soon as the patient undergoes a timely and adequate course of treatment for the disease. However, you should hurry. With long-term ongoing chronic prostatitis, sperm antibodies (ASAT) begin to be produced in the body. This is a factor in the development of immunological infertility. This form of condition is treated extremely poorly. Such infertility is closer to absolute. If immunological infertility in women can be corrected by IVF (but only 40% is successful at best), in men, immunological impairment of fertility is resistant to many types of therapy and is almost untreated.
The effect of prostatitis on infertility is diverse. It is always negative in nature, therefore it requires urgent correction. Otherwise, the state goes into a resistant form and you can forget about the successful conception. Do not neglect your health. It is recommended to contact a urologist andrologist in a timely manner and begin the course of treatment. So the forecast will be as favorable as possible.